Monday, September 17, 2018

Premal's Steel Margarita

Until about a year ago, I was mostly a beer drinker. Recently, I've been attracted to the revival of classic cocktails. I have two "go to" cocktails: the Manhattan and the Margarita. The weather in Southeastern Pennsylvania can be described as six months of mostly cold (Nov through Mar) and another six months of mostly hot (rest of the year). That's a gross over-simplification of course, but for this blog it suffices. I consume Manhattans during the cold months and Margaritas during the hot months. But not exclusively. I might throw in other cocktails that I'm experimenting with once in a while.

Anyway, for a little while I've felt that there was something more I needed in my Margarita. A tad bit of a smoky and spicy flavor with a little bit of a "steely" edge. The smoky and spicy is easy for most people to relate to as those terms are used frequently to describe food. But the steely edge is probably a mystery to most. But maybe my recipe for my Steel Margarita will convey what I mean.

1.5 oz. fresh lime juice
2 oz. mezcal
0.75 oz. Cointreau (or any good quality triple sec)
0.25 oz. Beefeater London dry gin
ice

Add ice to about 3/4ths of a mixing glass. Add all the ingredients and stir it all carefully until the temperature of the drink drops to that of ice. Strain it into a margarita or a cocktail glass and add 2-4 cubes of ice from the mixing glass to the margarita/cocktail glass. The mezcal provides the spicy and smoky flavor (mezcal is like tequila -- made from agave -- but made in small batches with the agave roasted over open firepits) and the gin adds the steely edge. Enjoy!

(This is my first blog post on cocktails. I intend to write more on this topic)

No comments:

Post a Comment